– What is design?
– Design is a tool to make life easier.
– Why design?
– It’s an open ended category, and revolves around daily life.
– It is common to talk about good and bad design - what is the difference, and who has or should have the right to make such a distinction?
– It is easier to spot bad design, as it is wasteful and impacts society negatively. Good design can be hard to spot, as some of the best design is the thing you never notice and take for granted. No-one should have the right to have the final word on what good design is. Ultimately design is a lot about relevancy, just because a design is not relevant doesn’t mean it is bad design. We also don’t consider all metrics when evaluating design. Beyond function, is beauty or poetry something you can measure?
– What is the main purpose or task of a designer in society?
– The main purpose is to contribute good design that has a positive aspect to people's lives.
– Is it different to work with and talk about design in an age when there is a larger interest in and knowledge about design among people than in previous times?
– There might be a broader audience for different types of design today, which enables one to have many different perspectives on the same design category.
– Are there particular topics or areas within the design field that ought to receive more attention that they do today?
– The importance of smart consuming and sustainability.
Her er flere intervjuer i denne serien: